Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Does Anyone Else Hate Crossing Guards?

Ok, so I know Crossing Guards are good and necessary. I'd like to picture them as helpful, white-haired old ladies in a bright yellow shirts, holding the traffic at bay while they assist adorable little 1st graders across the street. Usually, I have no trouble with them. Occasionally, though, I have an incident like yesterday.

AbiLyn HAD to go to the bathroom. I was breaking all speeding laws trying to get her home in order to avoid pulling over on the side of the road in the middle of Murfreesboro. Then I came upon a school zone. Well as much as I wanted to, morally, I just couldn't speed through it. I hit the zone at about 20mph and had coasted down to about 17 by the time I was reaching the crossing guard. That old bat started waving her arms at me, signalling for me to slow down and then reached down and got her infamous whistle and started blowing it at me! There were no cars around me to compare my speed to and she had no radar gun. Could she really tell I was going 2mph faster than was posted. And is 17mph that much worse than 15? I couldn't believe her reaction. It didn't help that I was truly risking a humongous mess if I didn't make it home quickly enough...

It was one of those situations where I left it, able to do nothing, wanting to explain myself to a complete stranger.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

old bat!!

Michele said...

Funny! I have that feeling often (of wanting to explain myself to a stranger). Why do I care so much?