Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Spitting Elmos

Today for lunch I was really creative (and healthy) and served shells & cheese with saltine crackers and strawberry Koo-laid. What can I say? I need to go to the grocery store...


Well, I fixed up plates and drinks (lids included) for my kids and, I'll be honest, snuck off to watch a few minutes of Smallville, uninterrupted. Well, the 2 older kids finished and got up, so I knew I needed to get back to my 1 year old son, Lex, who is still in a high chair. A high chair that he has no problem standing in or climbing out of, despite the seatbelt being buckled to an uncomfortable tightness.


My son... ah.... my son... He has a weird aversion to plates, that I stubbornly refuse to acknowledge. Almost every meal, he will empty his plate onto his high chair tray. As soon as my back is turned, he will throw the partially emptied plate (you can imagine how thorough a 22 month old is) into the floor. So now, I will have food to clean up from both the high chair tray and the floor... and my son. By the way, no punishment seems to dissuade him from this particular ritual.


Well, I went back into the dining room expecting a mess to clean up. Today, however, he was covered in the red Koo-laid and was happily pointing at the large red drops he had spit onto his tray. I asked him what he was doing, because it didn't seem like his usual random chaos. Today he seemed to be playing a specific game. He answered, "Spitting Elmos." (elmos is pronounced to rhyme with 'gross.') The red Koo-laid apparently reminded him of Elmo, therefore he was thrilled to have created a bunch of tiny, liquid Elmos to befriend.

No comments: