Friday, July 31, 2009

What do You Hear?

Today I took all my kids to Barfield Crescent Park to play on the playground. With all the rain this week, they, and by extension, I, have gotten extremely stir crazy! My daughter AbiLyn and her friend, Lilla are 4 and 6 respectively.

During the last week, they have been watching the movie The Wilderness Family. It was a favorite of mine when I was a kid, so I recently found it on DVD (thanks Amazon) and bought it for my kids to watch.

In this movie, they learned this very old song:

Alouette, gentille Alouette
Alouette je te plumerai
Alouette, gentille Alouette
Alouette je te plumerai
Je te plumerai la tête
Je te plumerai la tête
Et la tête, et la tête
Alouette, Alouette

Considering it is French, it made no sense to them, even though Lilla, in particular, has an amazing vocabulary and has been speaking in clear, full sentences practically since birth! The song does, however, have a catchy tune. So today on the way to the park, I hear this at full, adorable volume coming from the back row of my van:

Alouette, gentille Alouette
Alouette jumping in the rain
Alouette, gentille Alouette
Alouette, je te boomerang

It's funny how a child conforms what they hear into something that makes some kind of sense to them... even if it's just a few words out of the whole. It's so entertaining to watch a child, in sweet ignorance, as they try to interpret the huge amount of information coming at them every day. I wish I-and all other adults- could handle new information in such good humor!