Saturday, August 1, 2009

Christ is My Best Friends Frien...d

I had 2 out of the ordinary interactions today... you know, the ones where you look around and wish, with all your heart, that someone else had witnessed it, too.

The first one was at the Sugarbabies Consignment Sale, this huge consignment sale that occurs twice a year in the old Food Lion building in Smyrna. This year, I am volunteering to work in the sale on one of the days so I got to attend the very coveted "workers pre-sale" tonight. As soon as all the clothes are checked in, all the workers get to shop the sale before it is open to the consignors or the public.

As I was standing at a counter, checking in the last of the clothes I was putting in the sale, lots of the workers were wandering around finding shopping carts to use in the upcoming pre-sale. They had taken to taping note cards to the seat of the cart to reserve it for themselves. As I am standing there - with my stuff in a cart - sorting the last of the items I was entering in the sale, a lady walks up and takes one of my note cards out of my cart. No biggie, they are free to all the consignors for the purpose of labeling the clothes. It just felt like an invasion of my space. Without speaking a word to me, she then proceeds to write her name on the note card, take a roll of packing tape and start taping it to the handle of MY cart. I'm standing there in disbelief, watching her. Seriously, the cart is FULL of my laundry basket, note cards, safety pins, and the additional clothes I'm in the process of checking in for the sale. Ever so politely, I tell her that I am also a worker staying for the sale and that I'll be using that cart. She ripped her tag off my cart, looks me in the eye and replies, "I didn't see your name on it." Luckily, she then turned and walked away, because I have no idea how I would have responded. I was so taken by surprise, that for once, I had no words. Later, I was struck by how hilarious it would be to do that to someone in Walmart just to see what they said.

The second incident was a little more indirect. When Eric and I got home from shopping the aforementioned sale, there was a note stuck in our door. It appears as follows:

****
Erik, Im a writer
And Im with no-one
Christ nows, me.
And he is my best freinds frien
d
Who U dont apparently
see
C.
****
Please don't adjust the formatting on your screen. I typed this, line by line and misspelling by misspelling, the way the note was written. I wish I had a scanner so you could see it. It is scrawled in, what appears to be, male hand writing on a piece of lined paper ripped from a spiral notebook.
Our 2 neighbors' first initials are P and L, so we have no idea who left this little treat for us. We also have no clue what this "writer" is trying to say. It sounds like it should go with a previous conversation, and yet, it doesn't. If it makes sense to you, let me know.

While the writing skill of the self proclaimed author did add a little humor to our night, the delivery and anonymity of it made me want to make sure all the blinds were closed!

2 comments:

Michele said...

What did Eric think of Sugarbabies? Hope you got some good stuff!

Lizzy said...

Oh, he hated it. lol...got lots of great play clothes and casual clothes, winter coats, and 2 pairs of shoes each. :) it was a good haul!... now I'm laundering all of it...